*** APPLICATIONS FOR THIS ROLE ARE NOW CLOSED. ***
If you are passionate about brand-building and communication, and are curious about startups and venture capital, then you should apply to lead Marketing at Blume Ventures.
The Marketing Lead role at Blume encompasses corporate branding, content marketing & corporate communications. It is an exciting role, and while this post (essentially a JD or Job Description for the role) lays out the broad contours of the role and some key deliverables, it is a role that is waiting to be co-created between the candidate who joins us and the firm. There is lots to be done at Blume, and at our portfolio companies across marketing, expressed via the channels of PR, events and content marketing.
This is a terrific opportunity for a mid-level marketing / communications professional to catapult themselves into the fast-changing venture capital sector, with a firm that is very much at the centre of the early stage investing space. It gives the selected candidate a great view into the innards of a top tier venture capital firm, and provides exposure to the fast-changing and exciting Indian startup ecosystem. The role also gives lots of opportunities to meet and interact with entrepreneurs and key players in the startup community, as well as the scope to work closely with Blume portfolio founders on their marketing and communication challenges.
Detailing the role and how it stacks up
The Blume brand reaches the following stakeholders:
- LPs or Limited Partners: who give us money to invest
- Existing portfolio: Founders of Blume portfolio cos and their A-team
- Potential portfolio: Founders pitching to us, aspiring entrepreneurs etc.
- Follow-on Investors: Other VC firms who invest after us
- Ecosystem: The rest, includes other founders, bankers, media etc.
We ‘market’ primarily ideas to them: ideas about Blume, our portfolio companies, investment theses etc. These are communicated through content and events primarily, via owned or earned media. We have never done paid advertising, and perhaps, never will.
The Marketing Lead’s responsibilities include
- devising a communications strategy aligning with the firm’s overall strategy
- developing a communications + marketing calendar to execute the above strategy, and implementing it through compelling content marketing, running events and driving media interaction. Examples of these include content marketing via newsletters, podcasts, blog posts etc., and events such as investor meetups, Chai & Chatters, annual parties etc.
- recruiting freelancer writers / designers / creators / agencies and working with them to create absorbing content, visual units and collateral to reinforce and strengthen the Blume brand, and communicate our ideas to the relevant stakeholders
- support firm-wide initiatives such as Blume Day, investor meet ups, founder-mentor sessions etc.
- oversee and manage social handles and communication channels on behalf of the firm
- work with portfolio companies on special projects / provide advice on areas of expertise.
The ideal candidate would have anywhere from 7 – 12 years of experience, with exposure to at least two of the following: brand management / digital marketing / content marketing / PR. If you have exposure to the startup space, it is a bonus. In addition the candidate would have
- excellent written and spoken English, and good command of spoken Hindi
- above average interpersonal skills. We are a small team (~20 small) and getting things done should go hand in hand with keeping great relations within the team
- ability to tolerate ambiguity as well as balance between competing priorities
- strong attention to detail
- a self-starter attitude, with high ownership and drive to generate output and results.
The candidate can work out of any of Blume’s offices in Mumbai (Byculla), Delhi (Nehru Place) or Bangalore (Domlur). We are in offices mon-fri, but work does spill over usually into the weekends as well.
This is effectively an Individual Contributor (IC) role. We may at some point have a content creator / writer as part of the Marketing function reporting into the Marketing Lead, but for the near foreseeable future, we are looking at an IC.
About Blume Ventures
Blume is India’s leading early stage venture fund, backing startups with both funding as well as active mentoring. We typically invest in tech-led startups, led by founders who are obsessed with solving hard problems, ones that are uniquely Indian in nature, and impacting large markets. Our vision is to be the leading platform that sources, funds, nurtures and creates value for India’s brightest young startups – helping them ‘blume’!
Primers for who we are, are well captured in many interviews from the founding partners in the media. Karthik’s interview on PlaytoPotential is a good starting point on what to expect, as is our website, blume.vc.